complex trauma sux

♡o。.(=`ω´=).。o♡

Just add kitties.

Highly sensitive with complex ptsd. Therapeutic journaling helps, but it can sometimes get overwhelming.

2/20/14

social networks suck (I'll probably edit this into oblivion eventually)




(warning: irrelevant and barely coherent ranting)

So I didn't totally delete my Twitter but I did unfollow everyone, block/unblock any followers i had, and changed my url. I finally just had enough.

(I've pretty much done this with FB but still haven't brought myself to delete it. Why the hell not??)

One can argue that things like Twitter and FB are made for people to vomit all their thoughts and in-the-moment photos - I couldn't argue with that - but i hate that these so-called networks suck for interacting with people.

Especially when some of them are supposed to be "friends" and they're busy paying attention to their little clique. Like, wtf do you follow me? And why am I favoriting your shit?

It's one thing when you don't have any relationship to the people you follow and who follow you. But when you know the person (or think you do because of past online interactions) this type of thing kinda sucks. I'm too sensitive. And I guess social networks like these are not for me.

I just hate the mentality of "collecting" followers and whoring yourself in hope of getting a follow. I know not everyone uses these social systems in this way but, like i said, i had just had enough.

It's kind of like the time I used to receive "Like My Page" requests for a relative who started a t-shirt business. I was so annoyed that I unfriended this relative. (0.0) The line was drawn for me when they started posting little holiday eCards on my page with their business logo/url and shit. Like, really? Don't keep trying to pressure me into following your shit.

You know who I love on Twitter? Duncan Jones. He's a director (and David Bowie's son) and he frequently talks to his followers. Other people do too and I really enjoy just reading those little interactions. But so many just blahblahblah all over you, call it "life" sharing, and think they're being cutting edge. No, you're just being a narcissist.




What social systems do I like?

I still like blogging although I suppose that's not truly a social network system. People try to use it that way, though, and still "network" for followers and traffic to their own blogs by commenting on every blog they land on.

I still like photo hosting sites but not as much as I once did. I'm not sure what I expect.

Maybe I really just want to be a solitary person even in the virtual.

I like chat rooms. I'm not really experienced in them but there are a couple associated with TV watching that I like to show up at. I've gotten to know a few nice people, although I wouldn't call us "freinds", if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm bitter. Or jealous. Or just lonely. My depression definitely plays a part in all this. There have been tons of little studies that show how social networking makes people feel like shit. I guess I'm textbook.

Obviously I have issue with social networking as we know it. Now a days everyone is expected to have one and friends and family and co-workers just want to connect all over you, don't they. I think I liked being online before all that shit. I should just stick to my little anon blogging style and picture posting, and use Twitter for single use only (like updates for a blog or posting about 1 single topic). I think it's less stressful and more useful that way if you're not into "micro"blogging - which I guess I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment