complex trauma sux

♡o。.(=`ω´=).。o♡

Just add kitties.

Highly sensitive with complex ptsd. Therapeutic journaling helps, but it can sometimes get overwhelming.

12/24/14

# Christmas

(this post written in haste. forgive the atrocious errors in grammar etc. I'll probably edit this later.)

This year we technically don't celebrate Christ's nativity until January 7. It's nice to be separated from the commerciality of westernized christmas. For many years I have been struggling with the whole ordeal of gift-giving, santa clause, reindeer and etc. It cheapens the true meaning of what christians are supposed to be celebrating. It's also overwhelming, needlessly so.




So as a christian, one of the most liberating things I've done was find Eastern Orthodoxy. I know, many people would still roll there eyes at this - which is their prerogative.  But since converting from the typical western protestant evangelical version of christianity, I've realized just how messed up the western tradition is.




Yes, it's still a "conservative" faith when compared to the anything-goes mentality of the west today, but it's much understanding of human struggles, the theology of the faith is much deeper, and it's more historically informed than that western christianity. Funny topics like that of the comic above are actually discussed within the faith of Orthodoxy. They certainly don't shy away from controversy and intelligent discussion. And I like that they know where to draw the line... there are just some things that CAN'T be dialoged because there's no comparison between the topics - like oil and water. 



Aside from this new-to-me discovery of an entirely different way of viewing God...

I've long been repulsed by christmas holiday celebrations. People turn into jerks. I haven't seen my husband for days and days because of all the insane christmas shopping binges. The kids have lame christmas concerts all about santa and elves and ringing bells with depression... yeah, depression. At this moment (christmas eve) the only decorations i have up in the house were made by the kids while they were in (public) school. To be fair, I did put up an outdoor patio light garland, but I do that sort of thing regardless. I would ban gift giving in our family if I had any measure of control over other family members, even though I ask Husband to relay the message along. That said, I did pick up some Star Wars sticker books, and reading books for the kids to unwrap. Perhaps I'd feel really guilty if I didn't have anything to surprise them with, so I make up for it by getting them small things. I think each year their little piles get less and less. I'd rather just get them small things for fun, but I wish I didn't like I had to. And they never complain about what they get, even though they beg all year for crap. 



I've also got to know people from other countries and learn about how they celebrate christmas within Orthodoxy in their home country. I think there's lots of room for us to create our own traditions as time goes on. And perhaps that's what the majority of my problems are with regards to consumerism and a supposed religious holiday - I need to establish a break between the winter celebration and the nativity of our savior. Maybe Christians need to give the day back to the pagans ;) 

So anyway, Happy nativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment